I am a huge food lover, and I’ve always enjoyed cooking. It’s easy to get tired of the same old recipes with the same old ingredients – sometimes you want to switch it up! And thanks to Dinnerly, I’ve been able to experiment with recipes and ingredients I would never have considered before!
If you aren’t familiar with Dinnerly, it’s an affordable meal delivery service that delivers meals right to your door! All you have to do is pick your recipes and get to cooking!
I love being able to go through each week and pick from several interesting recipes, to have the ingredients delivered right to me – I never have to see a grocery store!
One of the most recent recipes I’ve found on the app is for Vegetarian Chilli Cheese Fries. Here’s how I prepared it and my final verdict on the dish!
How to Make Dinnerly’s Vegetarian Chili Cheese Fries
1.Prep Ingredients – Cut sweet potatoes into wedges, finely chop onion, and chop or grate garlic.
2. Bake Sweet Potatoes – Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss sweet potatoes with oil, salt, and pepper. Bake until browned and tender.
3. Cook “Chili” – Heat oil in a skillet and add garlic and half of your chopped onions. Once the onions are slightly softened, add your can(s) of black beans (keep the juice). Season with salt and pepper, and let it cook until almost all of the liquid has cooked out.
4. Make Onion Salsa – In a small bowl, mix oil, vintage, and remaining onions. Set aside.
5. Assemble & Enjoy – Now, put your sweet potatoes in an even layer, then cover them with your black beans. Top with your onion salsa, and enjoy!
Now, if you’ve been following my blog for a while, you know that I consider recipes to be suggestions – I rarely fully follow a recipe exactly. So, here are a few things that Dinnerly added to their recipe that I chose (or simply forgot) to do:
- Use Cilantro – The original recipe called for cilantro to be put in the black bean chili and the salsa, but my family as a whole doesn’t really like it. As a result, I just took it out of the recipe completely.
- Melt Cheese – The original recipe also instructs you to top the sweet potatoes with chili, top with cheese, and put them back in the oven to melt. I honestly forgot to put it back in the oven and just went ahead and topped it with the onion salsa!
Vegetarian Chili Cheese Fries: The Final Verdict
Put simply, this dish is so good! I initially wasn’t sure how this was going to taste, but it worked together perfectly! The sweetness of the sweet potato, the savory flavors of the black bean chili, and the acidic flavor from the onion salsa all combined to create an explosion of flavor!
Some vegetarian dishes, in my opinion, are good, but you can still have that craving for the meat that it’s trying to replace. However, with this dish, I didn’t have that same feeling. I could eat this over and over again and never be concerned about wanting the meat!
I still can’t believe how good this was! Without question, I will be making these again.