This week I’m coming to you guys with another round of “Faith Features!” Not sure what I’m talking about? Well “Faith Features” is a section here on The Pen & the Needle where I highlight individuals who are doing wonder things for the faith!
This time we have Malik Johnson, a 23-year old Christian rapper from Memphis,Tennessee! In addition to pursing his music, he is also the founder and CEO of 10:15 Records, a Christian music label. With a permanent smile on his face and God’s word in his heart, Johnson aims to take the world by storm, taking God with him every step of the way!
1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
~ I am Malik Kiambe Johnson, stage name “M.K.J.” which stands for “My King Jesus”. Gave my life to Christ wholehearted at age 13. Been doing music since 14 so I’ve been doing music ministry now for nearly 9 years. I’m also the CEO and Founder of 10:15 Records.
2. What was that defining moment in your life when you knew you needed God?
~ At age 13, I was in the hospital for a serious bronchial attack. I couldn’t breathe at all. After a few days in the hospital God restored my breathing. Once I was able to breathe again, God told me to began to use my breath that HE gave ME for HIS glory! Been doing so ever since.
3. What’s your favorite Bible verse and why?
~ Romans 10:15. Its the mission God gave me. I live my life accordingly to live a holy lifestyle and in that telling unbelievers, especially the YOUTH, that Jesus is relatable, accessible, and available to ANY and EVERY one who believes and receives Him.
4. What made you want to become a Christian rap artist?
~ I’ve always loved music. My family does music. As I got older, rap music was very appealing to me. Once God told me what to do, it was just about being obedient. My supporters call me a “gospel rapper”, no need to argue that. I’m good with the title.
5. Who are some of your favorite Christian artists?
~ I love Flame, he’s my favorite gospel rapper. Some others are Tony Tillman, Corey Red, Tedashii, Dee-1, Fro, etc.
6. You just turned 23 – is it hard to find people your age that understand what you are doing and the life you are trying to live for God?
~ It is, but there are out there. Just gotta continue to be that light for my peers.
7. I have heard of people who say that, after becoming saved, they no longer entertain secular music. What is your stance on that,and do you listen to any secular music?
~ I like old school so I do enjoy Michael Jackson, Stevie Wonder, etc. and all secular rap music isn’t bad. I don’t listen to much secular rap however, I listen to primarily gospel rap. But I believe as long as the music is not contradicting what I stand for as far as my morals, the Word, etc. I have no real problem with it.
8. What motivates you to keep going and making music?
~ The youth and My King Jesus! The Word says to not get weary in well-doing. Can’t stop, won’t stop.
9. What advice do you have for young Christians your age who may just be getting saved or who are really trying to live for God?
~ Middle school, high school, etc. all a PHASE. Jesus is FOREVER. But don’t take MY word for it, get to know Him yourself. Thats what I had to do. I had to find out for MYSELF if God was real. Once I saw that He was, and I knew the TRUE God is the God that sent His son Jesus to die for me, I HAD to change. The real truth changes people. It’s changed me along with BILLIONS of other believers worldwide.
10. What can we expect from you in 2016?
~ I’m releasing a music video for my Black History/Heritage song entitled “What Now?” and I will be releasing my sophomore album entitled “Believe The Hype.”
To keep up with Malik and 10:15 Records, follow him on social media!